Mougne Tower

Cogne

Rules for visitors

Situated west of the village of Epinel, at the centre of an important crossroads, the Castle of Tamberel was built in 1198. Also known as “Tor de Mougne”, it belonged to the noble Chesallet family of Sarre, who during the 13th century handed over their assets to the Count-Bishops, who in turn enfeoffed them to the Moni di Epinel, ministers and men faithful to the prelate of Aosta.
Near the construction, while has an outdoor courtyard, the village of Tamberel grew up, and was probably composed of two neighbourhoods: Mougne and Croix. The administrative centre of the fief of Epinel, Tarambel was entitled to elect its own representatives, within the group of those representing the Community of Cogne. Towards the beginning of the 16th century, the village was gradually abandoned, perhaps as a result of the drought that afflicted the area, so the inhabitants chose to populate the four scattered corners of Epinel, eventually being incorporated into it and becoming one large village.

Meteo
Meteo

Details
Aosta
°C
°C
Tourist Areas
Tourist Areas

Mont Blanc

Gran Paradiso

Great Saint Bernard

Aosta and surroundings

Matterhorn

Monte Rosa

Central Valley

Tourist offer
Tourist offer
Webcam
Webcam
Cogne

Webcams map       Resort
Saint Nicolas

Webcams map       Resort
Rhemes Notre Dame

Webcams map       Resort
Valgrisenche

Webcams map       Resort
Valsavarenche

Webcams map       Resort