San Rocco in Messelod chapel
It is the oldest chapel of the village, dedicated to Saint Rocco. Notary documents date its foundation back to the 7th June 1672 on an initiative by Michele Messelod. The building is fairly small in size.
The external facade has three paintings: on the left Saint Rocco with the dog which, according to legend, gives him bread, in the middle Jesus on the Cross and on the rightside Saint Sebastian pierced with arrows. Over these, the symbol of the Divine Trinity and the inscription “year 1827” (an age corresponding to significant restoration works).
Inside, there is an altar piece dated 1673 depicting the Virgin Mary with Saints Rocco and Sebastian to the sides. A large, wooden crucifix is located right in the centre of the chapel, supported by a chain from a beam, in which Jesus is bleeding over his entire body, in line with the usual devotions of that time. Two small wooden and partially gilded statues representing unidentifiable saints complete the sacred furnishing of the chapel.
Telephone:(+39) 0166 548204