Situated at 776 meters above sea level at the entrance of the Valgrisenche, in a basin planted with vineyards, Arvier represents the stubbornness in the use of all the land available, raising terraces on the sunniest side over the centuries. Here the famous red wine Enfer d’Arvier is produced, one of the first Aosta Valley wines to obtain the denomination D.O.C. In Roman times this village was called Arebrigium (from are=nesar and briga=hill) and was a military encampment along the road to Gaul, where we can still see some rests.
WHAT TO SEE
● The impressive Montmayeur Castle, with the cylindrical tower that still remains, reachable on foot from the hamlet of Grand Haury.
● The square tower of the Castle of La Mothe, built towards the end of the 13th century that dominates the village.
● The frescoes of the pilgrims’ hospice founded in 1368 in the nearby hamlet of Leverogne.
● The shrine of Notre-Dame de Rochefort and the magnificent view on the Château Blanc Glacier and on Mont Blanc. The building stands on the ruins of the castle of Rochefort, traces that can still be seen at the back of the chapel.
● The fort-house of the Lords of Avise built in 1312 in Planaval.
NATURE AND SPORT
The Lake of Lolair nature reserve is an area of great natural interest. The lake, fed by three springs, is surrounded by an extensive cane field and the characteristic rounded and smooth rocks of glacial origin. The reserve can be reached through a pleasant walk starting from La Ravoire, where there is a rock climbing gym. Another equipped wall is located in Leverogne.
An ideal place for excursions and ski mountaineering is the hamlet of Planaval, where every two years takes place the Tour du Ruitor, a ski mountaineering race in pairs, unique in its kind for hardness and spectacularity and that attracts athletes of high level from all over the world.
FEASTS AND TRADITIONS
The Martchà d’Arvì, a market of local handicrafts, food and wine that takes place on August 15 in the streets of the village of Arvier.
FOR THE CHILDREN
In the village there is a green area equipped with playground, soccer field and volleyball.
● Inhabitants: 870
● Altitude: 776 m
● How to get there by public transport: Arvier can be reached from Aosta by bus with the line “Aosta-Courmayeur”. The timetables are available on the website of the company Arriva Savda.