Going up the Rhêmes Valley, the first municipality you come across is Rhêmes-Saint-Georges, a small group of houses, lying at an altitude of 1218 metres, halfway between the valley floor and the high peaks. The excellent location within the Gran Paradiso National Park and the presence of exceptional flora and fauna make it the ideal place to spend a holiday of nature and relaxation.
In Rhêmes-Saint-Georges the ancient rural vocation is still very strong and it characterises the local economy, which remains essentially based on resources linked to agriculture.
WHAT TO SEE
● The Saint-George parish church has 15th century origins and was rebuilt in the 18th century. It houses carved wooden altars of the 17th century and a small parish museum.
● The pretty hamlets rich in rural architecture, such as the granary of Le Coveyrand, a small storage building dating back to the 15th century used for processing rye.
NATURE AND SPORT
A rich network of paths allows wonderful excursions on foot or by mountain bike to discover the territory of the Gran Paradiso National Park and visit the park rangers’ huts. It is also possible to follow the paths on the Vallée de la Seigle, the Rye Valley, to discover old ovens and mills. From the hamlet of Sarral you can reach a rock climbing wall.
During the winter, the resort offers suggestive walks with snowshoes.
Going up the valley, only 10 km away, you can reach the nearby municipality of Rhêmes-Notre-Dame where you can find many other itineraries and spectacular cross-country and downhill ski runs.
EVENTS AND TRADITIONS
● Fiha du Tratteur is the tractor parade which, at the end of August, accompanies residents and tourists from Rhêmes-Saint-Georges to Rhêmes-Notre-Dame on agricultural trailers. Afterwards, lunch with traditional dishes.
● Black Bread Festival – Couetta di pan ner. The bread made with native rye is baked in the characteristic wood-fired oven in the hamlet of Vieux.
FOR THE LITTLE ONES
Fun is guaranteed with the playground Lo Berlò, the Park of Secrets, which welcomes children, teenagers and adults. Situated in La Palud, this particular playground allows to know the territory and traditions through play and entertainment. Traditional and interactive games are alternated to increase the curiosity of children.
● Inhabitants: 170
● Altitude: 1218 m
● How to get there by public transport: Rhêmes-Saint-Georges can be reached by bus with the “Villeneuve – Rhêmes-Notre-Dame” line. Timetables are available on the Arriva company website.